Seven Situations When You Need a Family Law Attorney
| By Parchman Law Group
1. Divorce is one of the most stressful situations a person can go through. It signifies the end of an attempt at a life-long commitment and the breaking up of a family. If you are considering filing for a divorce, or if your spouse has already begun the divorce process, you need to begin searching for an experienced family law attorney. Divorce is an intricate combination of legal issues in respect to child care and property, which will need to be settled in court. In many divorce cases, both parties feel like they are due more, and dividing custody, housing, savings, investments, heirlooms, and a mile-long list of other items can be impossible without professional help.
2. Child Support is a legal issue which comes with a lot of tension, anger, and hurt. Very rarely does a separation not involve emotional pain or vengeful actions that result in threats and bullying. Without a family law attorney, it can be utterly impossible to come to a unanimous decision regarding equitable support, especially because income levels often differ between two divorcing or separating people. You must remember that whatever conclusion you agree upon will last for months or years.
3. Child custody and visitation negotiations can get messy very quickly, and they are hard for both the parents and child. With very little exception, both parents have a deep bond with their children, and they have the instinctual need to love and protect them. Young and adolescent children will feel confused during a divorce, and they may even blame themselves. Neither child nor parent wants to leave the other, but sometimes this is necessary. In the case where one partner is abusive or unqualified to be a solo parent, a family law attorney will have to determine how to best meet the needs of the child. This may include one party losing access to their children half- or even full-time.
4. The allowance of Child custody modifications involving child custody, visitations, and child support payments differs from state to state. In the case that modifications are permitted, the laws to move forward are complicated. A family law attorney can help you understand these laws, and what they mean, so that one party is not blindsided or taken advantage of.
5. As a parent, you have Parental rights, and it is important to know what these rights are. If you are unfairly being denied access to your child, contact a family law attorney immediately to resolve issues regarding relocation or loss of custody.
6. Adoption is an exciting and wonderful time in a family’s or person’s life. However, it is also a complicated situation because adoption cases differ greatly. There is infant adoption, international adoptions, closed and open adoption, and sibling and step-child adoption. A family law attorney can assist in laying down the proper foundations of your adoption agreement so you can move forward and enjoy this amazing chapter of your family’s new life without any strings.
7. Domestic Violence is a tragic and heartbreaking time in a person’s life, and taking these issues to court involves a great amount of courage, accompanied by fear and anxiety. Clients can request a filtering service from their family law attorney, which allows the client privacy and distance. The other party can only contact the client through the attorney, creating a safe buffer to shield any threatening blows.