Skip to Content
Parchman Law Group P.L.L.C. Parchman Law Group P.L.L.C.
Call For a Complimentary Consultation 713-364-0777

How Moving Out of State Affects Custody


Court orders regarding children, particularly child custody orders, come with a high level of strictness. Therefore any decision you make about the child has to be within the ambit of the type of child custody you have. If you live in Texas, decisions like moving out of state with your child have to pay attention to certain factors about the existing child custody order.

Moving Out of State With Children

The Court usually is in charge of establishing the child's residence in a shared custody arrangement, hence determining the geographic location where the child should live. Therefore if you want to move out of the state with your child, you will have to make a formal report to the Court.

In any custody decision, the Court establishes orders in the child's best interest, including living in a residence where both parents can easily have access to the child. Moving out of state could hurt a child's relationship with their other parent, meaning the parent with primary physical custody cannot just pick up and move.

The other parent could notice, as well as the Court. If your child's other parent doesn't agree to the move, they can ask the Court to have a formal hearing to prevent the relocation from happening. The parent wanting to relocate, will have to provide sufficient reason for needing to move.

Some reasons the Court might allow the relocation include:

  • A job relocation if you cannot find similar work nearby
  • Moving closer to family members who will help care for and support the child

Parchman Law Group P.L.L.C. is Here to Guide You

Before you decide to move out of Texas with your child, you should first contact Parchman Law Group P.L.L.C. and consult on the provisions of the law in your matter. Our team of lawyers has seasoned experience in family law. You can always count on our legal advice in making your final decision.

If you are looking for insight into moving out of state legally with your children, call us today at (713) 364-0777 to make an appointment with the best family law attorneys in The Woodlands.